Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Monday, August 11, 2014
Did you know planting a tree can save you money? They conserve energy when properly planted. Trees can cut your air conditioning costs by 15-35%!!!
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Monday, July 28, 2014
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Thursday, June 12, 2014
Did you know Nasturtiums are a great companion plant?
Their peppery leaves fend off insects from your garden. Nasturtiums deter cucumber beetles, bean beetles, wooly aphids, white flies, and squash vine borers. Cabbage, cucumber, and tomatoes will benefit from planting Nasturtiums in a circle around each plant.
Nasturtiums are also edible. The flowers can be used to add color to salads and leaves will add a nice peppery bite to salads. Seeds can be used like capers.
As an added bonus, Nasturtiums can grow in poor soil and only require sun and water.
Monday, June 9, 2014
Friday, May 30, 2014
1. Much longer growing season because of the warmer soil earlier in the season.
2. Less weeds. Weed barrier fabric can be installed under the garden box. Use weed free soil in the box as well.
3. No soil compaction from foot traffic, resulting in better drainage.
4. Easier to reach the vegetables. No more getting down on the ground!
5. More growing space.
6. They look great in the yard!